Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mommy

I remember the day vividly, December 19th. Derek and Linzie were very young, just 19th months and 34 months old. Daddy called and said that Mommy was in the hospital. We three sisters climbed in the car and headed out of the foggy valley and were off to the sunshine in Monterey. That is where Mommy and Daddy were because Mommy had to get out of the yucky fog that had enveloped the valley for so long. When we got to the hospital it was all decorated for Christmas. Outside Mommy's room was a large tree with Paddington Bear at the very top. That was so perfect because Mommy loved Paddington! We spent the next few days talking, shopping and most importantly - making more memories with Mommy. We stood around her bed, holding hands and singing Kum-bi-ya. It was so very peaceful. I remember sitting on the bed next to Mommy and her holding my hand. Little did I know that she would soon die. She gave so much of herself to us. I remember coming home from school and seeing her sitting on the couch reading Better Homes and Garden. I remember thinking to myself - is that all that she does?? Ha, ha, I know better now. She used to fix me french toast each morning - even on the day of my wedding. As she was sewing my wedding dress sitting in the exact same spot I am writing this she would say to me, "You're not married yet." I know that husband and I getting married so quickly after meeting scared her, but I know that she is looking down and sees that we have a wonderful life and two fantastic children. I miss her every day. That Christmas all five of us kids were together with Daddy as well as Auntie Marge. It was such a special Christmas.

6 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

I love remembering good memories ~ even when it is hard sometimes! I wasn't around Grandma as much, but I remember one time her and Grandpa was babysitting us and I craweled into bed with them and snuggled up! I also remember Grandma sewing at our house in Ames, IA at the bottom of the stairs in the basement. I loved to watch her sew! Too funny - but I also remember your wedding! Donna and Jeni got to be in the wedding and got new shoes (the things we rmember!) And I also remember we got little candy bars after the wedding - that was really cool I thought!! I don't have a ton of memories - but the ones that I have - are great!!

Jeni Allen said...

Dad (danny) was here a month or two ago and I as we were driving onto the highway he cursed at some driver cutting him off. My poor kids got totally silent, not quite knowing what to do. I laughed and said, "Good, now you have a moment with your Grandparents swearing!". I started to tell them how one time Grandma and Grandpa came to visit. I told them all about the big green van with no seatbelts in the back, only cusions. I told them we were driving down a main road and a bird flew into the grille. Grandma goes "oh shit!". Donna and I were so shocked! We just looked at each other. As I told my kids that they started giggling. Not only did that memory lighten the mood but it started a whole new dialoge about Grandma and her funny antics. I still miss her and her fabric trunk. Don't know if my mom has told you, but she'd come into the house and when she'd leave we all had a few new outfits. She was absolutely amazing. Love her so much!

Jeni Allen said...

Oh, I have another vivid memory of Grandma that has stuck with me thoughout the years. We were living in Iowa at the time. She took us to Living History Farms. As I recall, donna remembers as well because she made sure she took her family last time she passed through! We were in the restroom (again). Of course there was a malfunctioning toilet. Grandma, without hesitating went over and fixed it. She looked at the rest of us and said "I did my good deed for the day, you need to do one everyday!". Such a great example. One other memory, Donna and I were busy doing some project that needed scissors. We were pretty young, not sure how young, but young. Donna asked me to go get a pair of scissors. Grandma looked at me and said "don't do it." She looked at Donna and said, "Don't ask someone to do something you can do yourself!" I thought it was great because I didn't have to get up, but I try to remember that when I ask my kids to do things because I'm to lazy to get up and do it myself.

Marti said...

I love the memories that are being shared!

Krissie said...

I don't remember Grandma, but thank you for sharing the memories so I can have something to remember. It means a lot to me!

AClovesLJ said...

I remember Grandma. I remember going on a camping trip with Stacy and we made turtles in the sand and it rain that night (we were in the silver bullet). I also remember when she was in the hospital and my sisters and I didn't understand why she had some many hats...nobody has that many hats (at least to a five year old). I still remember Grandmas espically when I hear rain on a tin roof.

Ali-Andrea